Smith, George E., Store
NE corner of int. of SC 24 and Shirley Cir.;(Anderson County)
February 19 2002
National Register Determination:
contributes to eligible district
Signficant Architectural Features:
Two-story rectangular structure with a front gable roof covered in raised seam metal. The windows are covered with shutters. The exterior is weatherboard. The double entry door also has a screen door. One small interior chimney.
George E. Smith moved from Belton to Townville as a young man in 1870 and opened this store a few years later. He later built a house on the adjacent property, and also pursued farming. The store was operated by his daughter, Mary E. Smith, at least until 1969.
Source of Historical Information:
Elizabeth Belser Fuller, "Anderson County Sketches," Anderson: Anderson Tricentennial Committee, 1969.