Scheper, F. W., Store

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Street Address:
918 8th St.;(Beaufort County)

Site Number:
Control Number:
Tax Number:
R110 011 000 0065 0000
Date Surveyed:
July 1 1997
Construction Date:
circa 1885
Alteration Date:
circa 1990
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Construction Method:
Roof Shape:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Rectangular 2 story frame 3 x 8 bay commercial building w/hipped roof. Roof retains two historic ventilators at its ridge and has a boxed cornice. A storefront extends across the first elev. of the facade and wraps to the 1st bay of the W elev. It has a
A historic former 1-story addition to the was removed ca. 1990.
Historical Information:
The building is shown on the 1905, 1913 and 1924 Sanborn maps. The addition to the east is not show in 1905, but is shown in 1913. This building originally housed the mercantile business of German immigrant F. W. Scheper. Scheper moved from Germany to
Source of Historical Information:
Sanborn maps; "A Brief History of the Town of Port Royal, S.C.," Gerhard Spieler, 1992, Historic Port Royal Foundation files; Historic Resources of the Lowcountry, 1979; Christensen Property Transfer Notes, Historic Port Royal Fdn.
Quadrangle Name:
Parris Island