Dunn, Mary, Cemetery
Martinangele Rd.;(Beaufort County)
R800 026 000 024A 0000
September 17 1997
Signficant Architectural Features:
At south end of island, near Mongin Creek. Gabled brick vault for three members of Martinangele family, names unknown. Beside it is a tight row of 19th and 20th century gravemarkers. Scattered nearby are several brick box tombs with marble slab tops
New fencing and gates, 1990.
The only traditionally white cemetery on the island. First known burial was Mary Foster Martinangele (d. 4/2/1790), who had purchased a 500-acre plantation on Daufuskie in 1762. Her granddaughter Mary M. Dunn sold the property (then 300 acres) in 1874,
Source of Historical Information:
Billie Burn, An Island Called Daufuskie, pp. 39, 346, 354-360. "Daufuskie Island Historic District" National Register nomination.