Milton Maxcy House
1113 Craven St.;(Beaufort County)
R120 004 000 0774 0000
September 18 1997
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
National Register Determination:
contributes to listed district
Signficant Architectural Features:
Two story framed dwelling raised almost a full story on tabby basement. 5 bay main facade faces street south and has central entrance with Greek Revival surround incorporating a transom and sidelights. Windows at first floor level enlarged to give access
According to Mills Lane this house, probably built by Milton Maxcy near 1815, was part demolished by Edmund Rhett after 1830 and subsequently rebuilt. Porch probably dates to late 1840's or early 1850's.
Inscription on basement wall reads "In this house the first meeting in favor of secession was held in 1851". 1968 Feiss-Wright survey indicates that the foundation of the house represents the base of an earlier 2-story house that was constructed in 1743
Source of Historical Information:
Lane, Mills: "Architecture of the Old South, South Carolina", Savannah, Georgia, 1984: 215; 217. Also Historic Resources of the Low Country where designated 38BU1055. See also WPA Guide to Early American Homes.