Marine Barracks, Charleston Navy Yard

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Truxtun Ave. between Marine Ave. and Goldberg Ave., North Charleston, SC (Charleston County)
Alternate Name:
Building M-17, Naval Base Charleston

NRHP Nomination

NRHP Maps

Record Number:
S10817710203
Description and Narrative:
Built in 1910, the Marine Barracks, Charleston Navy Yard property is locally significant for its association with the establishment and development of the Charleston Navy Yard (later named Charleston Naval Shipyard and later Naval Base Charleston) in North Charleston, South Carolina, from 1910 through 1976. The Marine Barracks building, the most prominent component of the United States Marine Corps (USMC) presence at the Navy Yard, is significant in the area of military history, as it illustrates the important role the USMC played in guarding the shipyard and the Navy’s activities at the shipyard through the significant operational period from its establishment through both World Wars and into the mid-1970s. The Marine Barracks is also significant as an excellent example of one of the original group of early twentieth-century Classical Revival-style buildings constructed at the Charleston Navy Yard. The monumental Classical Revival-style, masonry, “E”-shaped-plan building is two stories atop of a raised basement and faces an open green space that served as the parade ground. Although roughly adjacent to the National Register-listed Charleston Naval Hospital Historic District, the Marine Barracks does not fit within the significance of that district. While the barracks does have strong historical associations with the nearby Charleston Navy Yard Historic District, it is separated from the district by substantial industrial development. Listed in the National Register October 16, 2020.
Period of Significance:
1910 – 1976
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Architecture;Military
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
October 16 2020