Campbell Chapel AME Church

National Register Listing
Street Address:
23 Boundary St., Bluffton, SC (Beaufort County)
Alternate Name:
Historic Campbell Chapel AME Church

NRHP Nomination

NRHP Maps

Record Number:
S10817707076
Description and Narrative:
Campbell Chapel AME Church sits on a .63-acre lot on the east side of Boundary Street in Bluffton, South Carolina, and is significant for its associations with the local African American community during Reconstruction and the late 19th century. It was constructed in 1853 and altered upon acquisition by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) church from a white Methodist congregation in 1874. It is likely that some of the nine freedmen who purchased the buildings as trustees for the AME church were previously enslaved by members of the white congregation. The new congregation immediately altered the building, making it their own and making additional changes as the church grew and thrived. A cast-iron bell was likely purchased and installed around 1874 and remains today in the cupola. It retains historic fabric that is both original and reflective of the change in ownership and the needs of the new congregation. A raised choir loft was added in 1957 and an addition placed on the southeast corner in 1966. The simple rectangular plan of the original structure is typical of the Greek Revival style, commonly used for church and civic buildings in the United States in the 1850s. During the period of significance, the church provided a location where congregation members were educated, practiced their religion, and expanded their outreach and participation in the greater community. Listed in the National Register April 26, 2019.
Period of Significance:
1874 – 1895
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Ethnic Heritage: Black
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
April 26 2019

Related places
Bluffton
Beaufort County