Jamestown Historic District

National Register Listing
Street Address:
ADDRESS RESTRICTED (Florence County)

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817721025
Description and Narrative:
The Jamestown Historic District is located in the Pee Dee Region of South Carolina in northeast Florence County. Jamestown is a historically African American agricultural settlement that consists of one building, eight archaeological sites, and one cemetery. The one extant contributing building, called the Jane James House, is a one-and-a-half story dwelling built c. 1900. The modest home was built using materials from the surrounding area by its inhabitants and serves as an example of the kind of buildings that were present throughout Jamestown at its peak. In addition, Jamestown’s large family cemetery is also notable for representing how burial and funerary practices at the site have been influenced by African and African American traditions. The Jane James House serves as an example of a late 19th to early 20th century African American agricultural property. Aside from the Jane James House and the cemetery, there are also eight other sites scattered throughout the district that contain the archaeological remains of historic house sites, all which would have been similar in age and type to the Jane James House. Although unique in many respects, the history of Jamestown also reflects the broad patterns of African American history in the South during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries: the story of black history after the Civil War, the story of southern agriculture in the first half of the twentieth century, and the story of community development in a time when many groups of African Americans struggled to survive and assert their independence. Jamestown is an unusual example of African Americans employing the mechanism of cooperative purchase to acquire land in the difficult decades after Reconstruction when white Democrats had regained control of the South. The community then maintained that cooperative sense and thrived for roughly seventy years, from its establishment in 1870 until its decline in the 1940s. Listed in the National Register October 25, 2018.
Period of Significance:
1870 – 1950
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Social History;Archeology;Ethnic Heritage: Black
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
October 25 2018

Related place
Florence County