Great Saltketcher Church
Great Salkehatchie Baptist Ch.
Signficant Architectural Features:
Weatherboard church, rectangular in plan. Hip roof with flared eaves and plain boxed cornice. Windows are lancet-shaped (double-hung sash, 4/4, with pointed arched transom) with textured glass panes. Front: symmetrical, ABA; central front entrance which is approached by steps and a high brick porch with iron railing, features double paneled doors and pointed arched transom; this entrance is flanked on either side by a lancet window; the front slope of the roof is pierced by a louvered belfry with hip roof and flared eaves. Sides: 8 bays. Rear: 3 bays, ABA; central doorway flanked by lancet windows. OUTBUILDINGS: Rectangular metal building with gable roof connected to rear of church by a covered walkway.
May, 1980: the church has recently been covered with aluminum siding.
Great Salkehatchie Baptist Church was organized Jan. 19, 1790, and a building was constructed on the river near Bufords Bridge. This first building was destroyed by Sherman's army and later rebuilt. In 1915, a new site was selected in the town of Ulmer. In 1856, the church was one of the 14 that organized the Barnwell Baptist Association. Among the early members of the church were: Boyntons, Sanders, Ulmer, Brant, Myrick, McMillan, Harter, Dickenson, Goodson, and others. The first pastors for this church were Rev. Holcombe and Rev. James Sweat.
Source of Historical Information:
Allendale on the Savannah, p.68-69. "Ulmers Community" (handwritten article in vertical files of Allendale Co. Library).
Allendale County, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014