Oconee County Courthouse

National Register Listing
Street Address:
211 W. Main Street, Walhalla, SC (Oconee County)

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817737021
Description and Narrative:
Constructed in 1956, the Oconee County Courthouse is an interesting and eclectic mix of periods within the Modern movement: steel enamel paneling, heavy limestone cornices and sills, and large glass paneling add characteristically midcentury ornament to a body otherwise reminiscent of the Stripped Classicism that is typically seen in buildings built several decades earlier. This mixing of styles makes the Oconee County Courthouse stand out among South Carolina’s civic structures and within the portfolio of its designers, the regionally significant architectural firm Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle &Wolff. The building’s architecture embodies Oconee County’s desire to invoke the permanence and authority associated with Stripped Classicism, while simultaneously suggesting the promise and modernity of the county’s postwar economic prosperity. In complementing the older, more traditional Stripped Classicism with modern details, Oconee County communicated its dual desires to establish a civic architecture with the gravitas of established style while also adapting to the heady period in its economic growth. Though it defies easy categorization, the architecture of the Oconee County Courthouse reflects contemporary local attitudes in Oconee County at mid-century. The building was nominated under Criterion C for its significance in the area of architecture at the local level of significance. Listed in the National Register October 11, 2016.
Period of Significance:
1956
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Architecture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
October 11 2016

Related places
Oconee County
Walhalla