Old Georgetown Road

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Old Georgetown Rd. between S. bank of the South Santee R. & SC 45, McClellanville vicinity (Charleston County)
Alternate Name:
Northern Stage Road, King's Highway

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817710186
Description and Narrative:
The Old Georgetown Road is significant as an intact early transportation route used continuously from the Colonial period into the early twentieth century. This 6.6-mile section of the Old Georgetown Road is one of the last and longest continuously unpaved public portions of the 1,300-mile pre-Revolutionary road that connected Charleston, South Carolina to Boston, Massachusetts. Originally, this portion of the road was an Indian trading path, known as the Sewee Broad Path and associated with the Sewee Indians who lived on the 30-mile strip between Charleston Harbor and the Santee River. As the colony of South Carolina developed, the trading path became a stage road, critical to economic development in the St. James, Santee region. In addition, the Old Georgetown Road also played a role in the development of national transportation routes. It was part of the primary north-south route for travel up the coast of South Carolina and between colonies, as evidenced by its use during the Revolutionary War, as part of National Post Route, and by President George Washington, as part of his tour of the southern states in 1791. By the end of the first quarter of the 20th century, a resurgence of interest in the state’s history brought travelers to the region and road for tourism. Listed in the National Register June 27, 2014.
Period of Significance:
circa 1670 – 1940
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Transportation
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
June 27 2014