St. Mark's Church

National Register Listing
Street Address:
W of Pinewood on SR 51 (Sumter County)
Alternate Name:
St. Mark's Church

[BLANK]

Record Number:
S10817743018
Description and Narrative:
(St. Mark’s Church) St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, built in 1855, is significant for its architectural style representative of the Gothic Revival Style prevalent in the mid-nineteenth century and for its association with individuals prominent in the history of South Carolina, including six governors of the State. Established by the South Carolina House of Commons in 1757, St. Mark’s Parish and its parish church were for many years significant in the settlement and development of this area. The present church is the fourth structure to serve as St. Mark’s Church. The original church was erected ca. 1767, but was destroyed by the British during the Revolution. The cornerstone of the present church was laid on February 25, 1854. It was designed by the well-known Charleston architects, Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee. Listed in the National Register January 20, 1978.
Period of Significance:
1855
Level of Significance:
State
Area of Significance:
Architecture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
January 20 1978

Related places
Pinewood
Sumter County