Millford Plantation

National Register Listing
Street Address:
W of Pinewood on SC 261 (Sumter County)
Alternate Name:
Gov. John L. Manning House; Millford

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817743012
Description and Narrative:
(Gov. John L. Manning House; Millford) Symbolic of the rural community life that flourished before the Civil War, Milford, ca. 1839, is considered one of the most outstanding Greek Revival plantation homes in the South. Having escaped being burned by General W. T. Sherman’s troops, it remains a museum piece of the traditional antebellum south. The Mannings, the original family owners, contributed many governors to the State of South Carolina and were leaders in the politics and society of the area. When first built, it earned the title of “Manning’s Folly” since its location was so remote and the details so elaborate. The façade has six magnificent carved columns on granite bases that support a classical portico with a parapet adorned with a Greek motif. The walls of Milford, two feet thick, are of handmade brick fired on the place, but the granite came by boat from Rhode Island, and much of the marble as well as the carving and ornamentation came from abroad. One of the most striking features of the interior is the rear rotunda that features an art-glass eye, framed by elaborate carving, on the ceiling and an imposing, unsupported, flying, circular stair. Milford’s builder was Nathaniel F. Potter of Rhode Island. While Potter may have designed the building as well, the architect is unknown. The property also includes contributing guesthouses/dependencies, a ca. 1850 stable and water tower (bell tower), and a spring house. Listed in the National Register November 19, 1971; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 11, 1973.
Period of Significance:
1839
Level of Significance:
National
Area of Significance:
Architecture;Archeology: Historic - Aboriginal;Politics/Government
National Register Determination:
National Historic Landmark
Date of Certification:
November 19 1971
Date of Certification as a National Historic Landmark:
November 7 1973

Related places
Pinewood
Sumter County