Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel

National Register Listing
Street Address:
1301 Richland St., Columbia, SC (Richland County)

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817740040
Description and Narrative:
Located on the site of the first Lutheran church in Columbia, Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel was constructed in 1870 and extensively renovated in 1900. It was designed by Columbia architect Gustav Theodore Berg and remodeled by the Columbia architectural firm of Wilson and Edwards. The church features a front façade in Flemish bond brick with glazed headers flanked by two square towers and finely detailed ca. 1900 art glass windows. Centered in the front façade is a large stained glass Palladian window. Brick pilasters with terra cotta capitals are featured on each corner of the front façade. The interior of the church is notable for its intricate pressed metal ceiling, its chancel area and organ platform which retains its turned balustrade. Alterations to the chapel have consisted of the removal of the pews and pulpit, and the removal of the balustrade and cupola which originally crowned each of the two towers. Located directly adjacent to the churchyard is a Lutheran cemetery which dates from the early 1800s. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
Period of Significance:
1870
Level of Significance:
State
Area of Significance:
Architecture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
March 2 1979

Related places
Columbia
Richland County