Lowman Hall, South Carolina State College

National Register Listing
Street Address:
South Carolina State College campus, Orangeburg, SC (Orangeburg County)

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817738021
Description and Narrative:
Lowman Hall, which was constructed in 1917 as a men’s dormitory, is the oldest intact building on the South Carolina State College campus. It is significant not only as part of the campus’s physical development from the insubstantial frame buildings with which the college opened in 1896 to permanent brick construction, but also as one of the first designs of architect Miller F. Whittaker, who was then on the college faculty. Whittaker, a pioneer African American architect in South Carolina, helped set standards for students aspiring to the architectural profession. Lowman Hall is a three-story, common bond brick building, with a hipped roof, exposed rafter tails, and hipped projecting pavilions at each end of the central core. A hip-roofed dormer with three multi-light windows is centered on the roof. There are brick quoins on each elevation. The façade features a one-story, tetrastyle Ionic portico centered on the main entrance. A portico with paired Ionic columns shelters the entrances at each end. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1985.
Period of Significance:
1917
Level of Significance:
State
Area of Significance:
Architecture;Ethnic Heritage: Black;Education
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
September 20 1985