Cousins House

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Nance St. Extension, Newberry, SC (Newberry County)
Alternate Name:
John Elmore House

[BLANK]

Record Number:
S10817736011
Description and Narrative:
(John Elmore House) Constructed ca. 1880 by C.C. “Cam” Davis for John Elmore, this Second Empire residence is a two-story dwelling, originally with a lower façade of weatherboards under a second story shingled mansard. The mansard was recovered with weatherboards when the original shingles required replacement because of deterioration. Other intact Victorian elements of the house are a front and right side wraparound porch having a lattice frieze, turned posts and balustrade. A pedimented projecting entranceway extends from the porch. The house is the only example of the Second Empire style of architecture appearing in the city locality. The high quality of the interior woodwork is typical of “Cam” Davis’s work in Newberry. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
Period of Significance:
1880
Level of Significance:
State
Area of Significance:
Architecture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
November 26 1980

Related places
Newberry
Newberry