Leesville College Historic District

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Railroad Ave., College, Peachtree, King, and Lee Sts., Leesville, SC (Lexington County)

Record Number:
S10817732027
Description and Narrative:
The Leesville College Historic District is historically significant for its association with two early Leesville schools. The district includes the first school in Leesville, the Busbee Brothers’ School, founded in 1878, and three buildings associated with the Leesville English and Classical Institute, founded in 1881, which became Leesville College in 1890. Also included in the district are residences constructed by persons associated with the schools. The district includes twenty-eight residential and institutional properties, in a contiguous neighborhood that is separated by an intervening block of new commercial development from the town’s Main Street commercial core to the south. The district evolved as a residential enclave around the Busbee Brothers’ School and the Leesville English and Classical Institute. Frame construction, weatherboarded, with varying articulations of ornamental trim, is ubiquitous. The houses of the district cover a wide range of Victorian vernacular forms, from modest cottage to elaborate residence, but the scale of the buildings, the materials, the setbacks are consistent. Other stylistic examples include Queen Anne, Gothic Revival, and Neo-Classical. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982.
Period of Significance:
1883
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Education
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
July 6 1982

Related places
Leesville
Lexington County