Batesburg Commercial Historic District

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Granite, Oak, Pine, Church Sts., Rutland and N. Railroad Aves., Batesburg, SC (Lexington County)

Record Number:
S10817732014
Description and Narrative:
The Batesburg Commercial Historic District is significant as an intact commercial center, showing the scale, materials, and development patterns of an early twentieth century railroad town. Encompassing thirty-one contributing properties within a three block area, the Batesburg Commercial Historic District is a highly intact collection of masonry commercial buildings constructed between 1895 and 1925, with the majority from the 1900-1910 decade. The district’s turn of the century character is accentuated by the largest collection of cast iron façade ornamentation found in the Central Midlands Region. Thirteen facades retain original cast iron pilasters or columns. Decorative brick trim also embellishes a number of storefronts, further articulating the period setting. Four buildings are built of early concrete blocks, molded to imitate stone. The commercial district has had minimal modern intrusions and retains the scale and feeling of the ca. 1925 community. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982.
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Social History
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
July 6 1982

Related places
Batesburg
Lexington County