Tall Oaks

National Register Listing
Street Address:
SC 341, Bishopville, SC (Lee County)
Alternate Name:
S. McLendon House

Record Number:
S10817731011
Description and Narrative:
(S. McLendon House) Tall Oaks, built ca. 1847, is a good example of a two-story vernacular Greek Revival residence. The house has a hipped roof and rests on a brick foundation. On the front fa├žade is a two-story, gable-roofed pedimented portico with four large columns. These columns are of brick construction with a stucco finish and Doric motif capitals. At the rear of the house is a shed roof and hipped roof porch addition added ca. 1910. The interior retains its original woodwork, wainscoting, mantels, and paneling. An original brick kitchen still stands behind the main house. This kitchen has a large corbeled brick chimney, water table, and gable roof. Tall Oaks is associated with a notable Bishopville family of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The house was built by Dr. John Edward Dennis. Dennis was born in Virginia in 1802 and he moved to Bishopville in the 1820s. Dennis was both a prosperous physician and farmer and in 1847 he constructed this large frame house which he named Tall Oaks for the many surrounding large oak trees. His son, Robert Dennis continued to live in the house and practiced medicine in Bishopville until his death in 1904. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986.
Period of Significance:
circa 1847
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Agriculture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
January 9 1986

Related places
Bishopville
Lee County