Laurens Historic District

National Register Listing
Street Address:
U.S. 221 and U.S. 76, Laurens, SC (Laurens County)

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817730010
Description and Narrative:
The Laurens Historic District contains 111 contributing properties, most of which were built between 1880 and 1940. The town of Laurens is the county seat of Laurens County, located in the Piedmont region of the state. The district includes the public square with the courthouse and surrounding commercial buildings, and extends to the north and west to include significant residential sections of Laurens. The district is an unusually intact collection of buildings of nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular architectural design mixed with simple high-style examples. Although originally lined by antebellum residences (only two of which remain intact) on multi-acre lots, West Main Street experienced two periods of major development. The first period was from ca. 1885 to ca. 1915 and the second occurred between the World Wars. The buildings in the district display a wide range of architectural styles including Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Romanesque Revival, Bungalow, Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Neo-Classical. The area is also characterized by its large trees, well-kept yards, and granite retaining walls. The town and county of Laurens are named for South Carolina Revolutionary War patriot Henry Laurens. Laurens County was one of six counties created in 1785 from a division of the old district of Ninety-Six. By 1792 Laurens was the county seat. Listed in the National Register October 10, 1980; Boundary increase November 19, 1986.
Period of Significance:
1874
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Transportation;Agriculture;Architecture;Economics
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
October 10 1980
Date of Boundary Increase:
November 19 1986

Related places
Laurens
Laurens County