Richmond Hill Plantation Archeological Sites

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Address Restricted, Georgetown, SC City Vicinity (Georgetown County)
Alternate Name:
38GE256, 38GE262, 38GE266, 38GE283, 38GE306

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
Description and Narrative:
Archaeological investigations at Richmond Hill Plantation have identified remains of the planter’s house, two possible overseers’ houses, approximately 20 slave houses, a slave cemetery, a rice barn, and rice fields and dikes. As a unit these sites are significant since they comprise the Richmond Hill Plantation complex. The plantation house, overseers’ houses, and slave houses were all burned by ca. 1930. Richmond Hill plantation was one of the few plantations on the Waccamaw River which did not produce either the quantity or quality of rice expected of a plantation in All Saints’ Parish. It was owned by Dr. John D. Magill, who had the unenviable reputation of being one of the least efficient planters in the area and of being the most brutal slaveowner among the Georgetown District rice planters. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
Period of Significance:
circa 1820 – 1874
Level of Significance:
Area of Significance:
Ethnic Heritage: Black;Archeology: Historic - Non-Aboriginal
National Register Determination:
Date of Certification:
October 6 1988