Bonnie Shade

National Register Listing
Street Address:
1439 Cherokee Rd., Florence, SC (Florence County)

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
Description and Narrative:
Bonnie Shade is considered to be the second oldest house located within the city limits of Florence. Built circa 1854, Bonnie Shade predates the incorporation of the city of Florence in 1871. An excellent example of mid-nineteenth century Greek Revival architecture, the structure is also significant for its association with locally prominent individuals. This raised cottage features several interesting architectural elements. These include the pilasters located at its corners, the free-standing columns supporting the pediment and portico, the central projecting dining room on the rear, and the paneled plaster ceiling in the west parlor. Tradition indicates that Bonnie Shade was built by James Alexander Pettigrew on land located on the western edge of his then Darlington County plantation. Pettigrew, a prosperous planter, is said to have constructed the house as a wedding present for his daughter, Anna Eugenia, who married Joseph E. Wingate in 1856. Tradition indicates that Wingate planted many of the shrubs and trees still located on the Bonnie Shade property. In 1895 the Bonnie Shade property passed from the Wingate family to Joseph Woods Brunson and his wife, Jane Melinda Brunson. According to tradition, Jane Melinda Brunson christened the house “Bonnie Shade” in deference to both her Scottish heritage and to the many large trees located on the property. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978.
Period of Significance:
circa 1854
Level of Significance:
Area of Significance:
National Register Determination:
Date of Certification:
November 14 1978

Related places
Florence County