Dargan, Julius A., House

National Register Listing
Street Address:
488 Pearl St., Darlington, SC (Darlington County)
Alternate Name:
Julius A. Dargan House; Kollock-Stone House

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817716017
Description and Narrative:
The Julius A. Dargan House is significant as one of the few relatively intact antebellum residences remaining in the city of Darlington. The house is defined primarily by its Greek Revival two-story rectangular form, hipped roof, and two-story pedimented portico. The house, built ca. 1856, is a rectangular, two-story weatherboarded residence with interior stuccoed chimneys. The hipped roof over the main section of the building features a boxed cornice, which is decorated with pendant soffit brackets only on the south elevation. In the center of the symmetrical, five bay fa├žade is a two-tiered, pedimented portico with four square, paneled columns on each floor with those on either corner being answered with a like respond; on each of the two floors of the portico is an arched trellis attached to the central columns, and railings with diagonal and vertical balusters. Julius Alfred Dargan (1815-1861) was born and reared in Darlington. He was a lawyer, a member of the House of Representatives, a trustee of the Darlington Academy, and a signer of the Ordinance of Succession in 1860. Listed in the National Register February 10, 1988.
Period of Significance:
1856
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Architecture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
February 10 1988