Charleston's French Quarter District

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Bounded on the South by Lodge Alley; on the North by Cumberland Street; on the East by East Bay Street; on the West by State Street. Charleston, SC (Charleston County)
Alternate Name:
Lodge Alley; Simmons Alley

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
Description and Narrative:
(Lodge Alley) The French Quarter District is located in an area of the old walled city of Charleston where the French Huguenots once had warehouses and dwellings. Early Charleston merchants used the warehouses for their ships at the docks off East Bay Street. One of the oldest streets in Charleston, Lodge Alley is a visual example of Charleston’s Old World ties, exemplifying the definition of an ally as a city street but not a main thoroughfare. Lodge Alley still has a seaport look. Brick warehouses of Flemish and American bond bound each side of the ten-foot wide passage. The alley is paved in Belgian blocks - a local term for a brick shaped block of granite. The ten-foot width of Lodge Alley compares favorably with many of Charleston’s principal streets of the early 18th century, now impossibly narrow by modern standards. Lodge Alley also illustrates Charleston’s distinction as one of the cradles of Freemasonry in America. The alley takes its name from the Masonic Lodge situated on its course about midway from East Bay Street. This site was acquired as early as 1773, making it one of the oldest Masonic Lodges in the country. As part of the old walled city of Charleston, Lodge Alley and the French Quarter District are in an area which reflects not only three centuries of South Carolina history, but also three centuries important to the course of American history. Listed in the National Register September 19, 1973.
Period of Significance:
before 1704;after 1704;18th century;19th century;20th century
Level of Significance:
Area of Significance:
Architecture;Commerce;Politics/Government;Social History;Community Planning and Development
National Register Determination:
Date of Certification:
September 19 1973