Zante Plantation

National Register Listing
Street Address:
SE of Fort Motte off SC 601 (Calhoun County)

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817709015
Description and Narrative:
Zante Plantation is a two and one-half story frame structure with Federal details built upon a stucco-over-brick foundation approximately seven feet high. It is not known exactly when Zante was constructed, however architectural analysis suggests its having been completed between 1810 and 1820. The house is an example of the progression of the Carolina upcountry farmhouse from a simple cottage to a more imposing structure. Both front and rear facades have one-story porches, and square wooden columns support the front porch. Simple wooden steps lead to the front entranceway. A large dormer window with sidelights and a central fan medallion is located on the gable roof, directly above the entrance. The entrance is flanked by pilasters, sidelights, and a fanlight above. The eaves of the roof are slightly extended with dentil moldings. The roof is tin. The wide central hall features an elliptical arch and terminates in a stairway with three flights. The interior displays delicate paneling and moldings, feather-grained baseboards, and door and window jambs with fluted pilasters and corner medallions. Several original outbuildings remain on the property. Zante has been the home of several prominent South Carolinians, its history reaching as far back as the late eighteenth century when Peter Manigault, Speaker of the Commons House of Assembly, acquired the property. After the Revolutionary War, Major William Elnathan Haskell, of the Massachusetts Continental line, settled in South Carolina, marrying into one of the state’s most noted families, the Thomson’s. In 1851, Zante became the property of the Trezevant family, another of the state’s most prominent early families. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.
Period of Significance:
1815;19th century
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Architecture;Social History
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
June 29 1976

Related places
Fort Motte
Calhoun County