Denver Downs Farmstead

National Register Listing
Street Address:
4915 Clemson Boulevard, Anderson, SC (Anderson County)
Alternate Name:
Garrison Farm

NRHP Nomination

Record Number:
S10817704019
Description and Narrative:
(Garrison Farm) Denver Downs Farmstead is historically and architecturally significant as an extant working farm in upstate South Carolina dating to 1872. Of the 464-acre parcel, only twenty acres of the farmstead have been nominated. The main house contributes to the significance of the farmstead as a largely intact and substantial vernacular expression of Colonial Revival style architecture from about 1890. Denver Downs includes thirteen agricultural outbuildings dating from before 1872 to the early 1950s that contribute to the property’s historic character and reflect its continuous use as a working farm since the 1870s. The farm complex also includes several modern non-contributing agricultural buildings and/or structures. The farmstead is also significant for its direct association with William Dunkling Garrison and his family, known prominently in upstate South Carolina in the fields of agriculture, business, civic life and politics. The main house is a large two-and-one-half story Colonial Revival farmhouse featuring white clapboard siding, an unpainted metal roof, and a wraparound porch with classical details. Details such as the paired porch columns (replacements of the shorter paired columns on paneled pedestals), dentil moldings and classically-influenced sash windows, as well as the formal, symmetrical house frame, reflect the increasing popularity of the Colonial Revival. Despite some alterations, the house retains a significant amount of its historic integrity. Denver Downs Farmstead was recognized in 1974 as a “Century Farm,” having been owned and operated by the same family for 100 years. It is indeed a rare example of a working farm that has adapted and sustained its operation for four generations. Listed in the National Register March 7, 2007.
Period of Significance:
1872 - 1956;1872;circa 1890
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Agriculture;Architecture
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
March 7 2007

Related places
Anderson
Anderson County