Coker Spring

National Register Listing
Street Address:
Coker Spring Rd., Aiken, SC (Aiken County)

NRHP Nomination Form

Record Number:
Description and Narrative:
Coker Spring is a fresh water spring. Archeological remains found near this property suggest that this was probably a water supply for prehistoric Indians. The spring later served as the source of drinking water for the early settlers of Aiken (ca. 1830-1890). The spring is covered by a springhouse, which is constructed of brick, covered with stucco. The front fa├žade features a pedimented entranceway with a wide entablature. Stuccoed brick retaining walls extend along the left and right sides of the springhouse. The first recorded owner of Coker Spring was Ephraim Franklin who obtained the spring as part of a 285-acre land grant in 1787. Apparently the spring then changed hands several times. The spring gained prominence as a regular stop on the stagecoach route from Abbeville to Charleston, and also as the major source of drinking water for the town of Aiken which had been chartered in 1835. Eventually, however, the spring fell into ruin. Listed in the National Register January 18, 1978.
Period of Significance:
1890;before 1400;18th century;19th century;20th century
Level of Significance:
Area of Significance:
Social History;Archeology: Prehistoric
National Register Determination:
Date of Certification:
January 18 1978

Related places
Aiken County