Hammond, Charles, House

National Register Listing
Street Address:
908 Martintown Road W., North Augusta, SC (Aiken County)

NRHP Nomination Form

Record Number:
S10817702003
Description and Narrative:
Dating from the Revolutionary War era, the Charles Hammond House is one of the oldest residences in North Augusta. The house exemplifies a typical architectural trend of nineteenth century South Carolina: that turned plain eighteenth century folk houses into more fashionable, columned Greek Revival influenced houses as prosperity was attained. The Charles Hammond House was originally a two-story pine clapboard structure existing from ca. 1775-1780. Additions to the home (ca. 1830) included front and side porch, extension of the back porch, and rear wing producing an L-shape appearance. The house has a pipe stem chimney, unusual for the area. The house has three porches; those on the east and south are both two-story with four square paneled columns. The original shingled roof has been subsequently replaced by tin. The interior of the home originally consisted of five rooms with central hall. The ca. 1830 additions added four rooms, two on each floor. Around 1830, an English gardener landscaped a formal garden for the front and side yards. The old brick remains. Listed in the National Register October 2, 1973.
Period of Significance:
1780;circa 1775 – 1780;1830;18th century;19th century
Level of Significance:
Local
Area of Significance:
Architecture;Military
National Register Determination:
listed
Date of Certification:
October 2 1973

Related places
North Augusta
Aiken County