Cleveland Park, Greenville, SC (Greenville County)
November 10 2017
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
122-acre park includes tennis and volleyball courts, a softball field, playgrounds, a fitness trail, and both small-group and large-group picnic shelters. Site of the Rock Quarry Garden, Fernwood Nature Trail, and Vietnam Vet Memorial, and Greenville Zoo.
In 1924, William Choice Cleveland gave Greenville the land for a park and playground.The park opened in 1928, and in 1930, the Greenville Garden Club "undertook the beautification of the old rock quarry on the edge of the new park."
Source of Historical Information:
Archie V. Huff, Greenvillle, 1995
City of Greenville Historic Resources Survey - 2017