N Main St, NE corner Elford St
November 14 2002
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Early Greenville cemetery; 1st grave Elizabeth Blackburn Williams, 1812; cut granite entry gate w/arched opening; curvilinear roads; divided into small blocks accessed by concrete walks; Confederate monuments; Confederate burials section; grave of Col. Elias Earle (1855-1911); Gillespie Mausoleum
site enlarged (1872); gates and fencing erected (1881)
Cemetery begun when Waddy Thompson buried his mother-in-law, Elizabeth Blackburn Williams, on site. Land sold and designated city burying ground in 1829; the cemetery was enlarged in 1872 with addition of Elford Cemetery. Stone gates and fences installed in 1881. Among the 2,200 family plots are buried some of the city's most prominent historical figures.
Source of Historical Information: