Trinity Church

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Trinity United Methodist Church
Street Address:
E. Railroad Avenue, Bamberg, SC

Site Number:
Site Number:
Date Surveyed:
August 1979
Construction Date:
1904 – 1905
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Architect or Builder:
architects: Edwards and Walter, contractor: J. A. Benson
Construction Method:
Roof Materials:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Brick church, irregular and asymmetrical in design, with high hip root and projecting gabled wings. Tall square bell tower at the corner of Cannon St. and Railroad Ave. features entrances facing both streets, each with double paneled doors, semicircular stained glass fanlight, and gabled overdoor with decorative trusses supported by small paired Tuscan columns set on high brick pedestals; above, on each side of the tower, are 3 narrow arched windows with stone springers, keystones, ani sill; the pyramidal roof of the tower and very wide bracketed eaves are broken by hipped wall dormers, which contain vents. Prominent features of the north face (front) of the building include a large semlcicular arched stained glass window with intersecting tracery framed by a projecting shingled gable end arch, and, to the right, an entrance with semi-elliptical fanlight sheltered by a curved roof. The front slope of the roof is broken by 2 hipped dormers with vents. Notable design elements of the rear of the building include a central polygonal projection and octagonal chimney. Exterior walls are brick laid in Flemish bond, and most of the church's windows are stained glass double hung sash. OUTBUILDINGS: 2 2-story red brick buildings on Cannon St. connected to the rear of the church & to each other.
altered - a renovation program was initiated in the summer of 1970. Electrical wiring was replaced, the choir loft was relocated and enlarged, and the congregation seating space was enlarged by an addition to the Cannon St. side of the sanctuary with additional seats above in a balcony.
Historical Information:
Trinity Church was the first established church in Bamberg, dating from 1853. The present church building, the third used by the congregation, was completed in December 1905 and dedicated March 18, 1906.
Source of Historical Information:
"East Railroad Avenue, Bamberg, S". C.";Margaret Lawrence, 111 Felder St., Bamberg, S. C.
Bamberg - City, 1979-1980
Archives Location:
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related place
Bamberg County