Knight Building

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
Dickson Shoe Shop. Herald Bookstore
Street Address:
148, 150 Main Street, 087-02-03-16, Bamberg, SC

Site Number:
Site Number:
Date Surveyed:
October 1 1979
Construction Date:
circa 1904 – 1909;circa 1909 – 1922
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Construction Method:
Foundation Materials:
Concrete Blocks
Roof Materials:
tar & gravel
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 story brick commercial building with flat roof. 2 common side walls. Front is faced with beige brick, with right side being a slight darker shade. Ground level: is asymmetrical; entrance on left with double glazed doors leads to 2nd floor 2 shop entrances are recessed and feature double doors with beveled glass; recessed entry areas have pressed metal ceilings with central medallions and octagonal tile floors with the original store name incorporated into their designs; to the right of the left shop entrance is a plate glass display window; the shop entrance on the right is flanked on both sides by a plate glass display window. Upper portion of front facade: 6 1/1 double hung sash windows, which have stone lintels and sills and alternating red brick headers and stretchers on the sides; above the windows are decorative bands of red brick, and at the top of the facade is a brick cornice with red brick corbels and dentils. Interior: pressed metal ceilings, hardwood & tile floors, plaster walls. OUTBUILDINGS: none
altered-minor. Flat metal awning has been attached to front, etc.
Historical Information:
The north half of the Knight Building was built between 1904-1909, and was originally occupied by Bamberg Herald Printers and offices. The south half of this building was constructed between 1909-1922, and was Bamberg's post office.
Source of Historical Information:
Sanborn maps of Bamberg
Bamberg - City, 1979-1980
Archives Location:
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related place
Bamberg County