161 E. Queen St. , Pendlton, SC
October 19 1982
Signficant Architectural Features:
2-story frame rectangular plan residential sheathed in asbestos shingle siding. Hip roof has plain cornice. 2 exterior brick chimneys w/ corbeled caps and some quoining. 5-bay facade is ABCDA: "A" is a single double-hunq sash window (obscured); "B" is a single door entrance with 7-light sidelights and 4-light transom; "C" is a pair of 12/1 double-hung sash windows with mullion; "D" is a single door entrance with 4-light transom. Both doors have plain wooden surrounds. Porch has hip roof and boxed cornice; it rests on 5 plain columns and a plain balustrade.
porch has been extended to incorporate a large wing addition on right; porch columns are replacements and front steps have been re-oriented. Paired windows on 1st and 2nd stories were originally separate single windows. These may originally have had shutters.
Supposedly oldest residential in town limits. Erected 1793 by Dr. Wm. Hunter. Later owned by the Right Honorable Willam Lord Viscount Lowther
Source of Historical Information:
Pendleton Historic District: A Survey
Pendleton - City, 1982-1983
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014