Guard House and Market
Pendleton Library & Police Dept.
Town Square, Pendlton, SC
October 19 1982
circa 1860 – 1911
Frame and brick
pressed metal shingle & raised seam metal
Signficant Architectural Features:
Main portion is a two-story rectangular plan, gable roof building which has been stuccoed in metal panel and rests on a stone foundation; there is an exterior brick flue w/hooded cap on the facade; on the rear is a staircase that leads; to the second floor and there is a crude framed cupola on top; projecting on the facade is a one-story gabled roof addition which has a vault portico which rests on wooden columns; the facade is a 3 bays; ABA: A is a multi-light sash over single sash; B is single door entrance; the side elevations are all windows; there are exposed rafter ends beneath the eaves. This framed portion was built in 1911 to serve as the Library. OUTBUILDINGS: None visible
stuccoed mortif and modern second story entrance.
Originally built has a market and guard house, converted to a library in 1911.
Pendleton - City, 1982-1983
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014