GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH
711 South McDuffie Street, Anderson, SC
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 story brick structure. Gabled with square side tower. Tower with double doors (board & batten with segmental arch), multipaned window and 2 vents. Gabled portion with 3 segmantal arched windows (1/1) and large segmentally arched windows with tracery on 2nd floor. OUTBUILDINGS:
The present structure was erected in 1904, replacing an earlier building on the same site, Bishop Ellison Capers conducted the dedication ceremonies. In the earlier church, Confederate General Ellison Capers was a lay reader and his son, later Bishop W.T. Capers of Texas had his first charge here. Judge Milledge Bonham, chief justice of the S.C. Supreme Court, was a warden.
Source of Historical Information:
see NR info.
Anderson - City, 1971 and 1978
Box 14, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014