Erwington Plantation, Erwin House
Erwinton Plantation & Hunting Club
S. C. 3 near US 301, (Allendale vicinity)
Recreation & Culture
Architect or Builder:
Dr. W. R. Erwin
Signficant Architectural Features:
1 1/2 story clapboard house, rectangular in plan, built upon a raised brick basement. Both the front and rear slopes of the gabled hip roof are broken by 3 gabled dormers. 2 interior straddle ridge chimneys. Balustraded piazza with square wooden columns extends across the front facade and halfway down the sides of the building. Front elevation is symmetrical, AABAA; central entrance is framed by a rectangular transom and sidelights. Main floor windows are double hung sash with 9/9 lights; dormer windows are 6/6. Interior: main floor features a wide central hall with 4 large main rooms. Walls and ceilings are wide hand-rubbed pine boards. Deep cornice moldings, 16’ ceilings, hand-hewn sills, and large fireplaces characterize the rooms. OUTBUILDINGS:
1950's - dormers, shutters on downstairs windows, bathroom on left side were added; house was painted for first time, and old roof was replaced.
Example of Bahamian-influenced raised cottage style of architecture prevalent in the Southeast during the 19th century. Erwins founded the 2nd Disciples of Christ Church in S. C. and Erwinton was used for church services until 1835. Birthplace of Clark Howell. Originally a cotton plantation.
Source of Historical Information:
National Register nomination, prepared in 1975
Allendale County, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014