Spruce Street, Allendale
metal (not orig.)
Signficant Architectural Features:
1 1/2 story weatherboard house, rectangular in plan, with gabled roof. 2 exterior gable end chimneys. Ground floor windows are double-hung sash, 6/6, with louvered shutters; 2nd floor window openings (1 on either side of the end chimneys) feature single batten shutters held in place by wrought iron strap hinges. Front: symmetrical, ABBA; 2 front doorways are flanked on either side by a single window; a porch extends the length of the front elevation; this porch features square posts, sawn brackets, and criss-cross railing (not original). Sides: end chimneys are flanked on either side by a single window on both first and 2nd floors. Rear: 1 story addition. OUTBUILDINGS:
altered - rear addition; the house appears to have undergone only minor architectural alterations.
In 1810, George Washington Allen and Beniamin Franklin Allen acquired 1000 acres of land within the Allendale area; it is reputed that ca. 1822 two houses were constructed on the property by the Allen brothers, one of which was destroyed by fire. The Allen home place is indicated on the Mills Atlas map of Barnwell District (1825). The Town of Allendale was named for the Allen family, who were among the area's first settlers.
Source of Historical Information:
"Land Grants, Plats," Allendale Co. Citizen, Dec. 6, 1973. p. 11; Allendale on the Savannah, p. 165.
City of Allendale, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014