Allendale Town Hall
Old Allendale Town Hall
East Bay Street (near Main Street), Allendale
Signficant Architectural Features:
1 story building, rectangular in plan, constructed of brick laid in common bond. Front: 3 bays, ABA; large central entrance features double plate glass doors and a large plate glass transom (not original); on either side of the entrance is a single window; window and door openings are set in recessed panels and originally were segmental-arched; parapet wall contains 3 recessed panels and, like those below containing the windows and doorway, they feature brick corbels along their top edges. OUTBUILDINGS:
altered - 1 vehicle garage added to the left side; originally windows were probably double-hung sash, now they are single fixed plate glass panes; side windows have been filled in.
An act to charter the town of Allendale was passed by the State Legislature on December 20, 1873. The first town hall was a small one-room frame structure with a piazza across the front, and it was located on the same site as this building, which was constructed in 1901. The old Town Hall now standing was for many years used as a "township auditorium" in addition to its governmental functions. It has been the scene of many traveling Chatauquas, local theater presentations, musicals, dances, etc. After the new consolidated high school building was completed there was little use for the Town Hall as a theater! The Town Hall served as the first courthouse for the new county in 1919, and it has been used as a curb market for the farm ladies to sell their fresh produce and pastries.
Source of Historical Information:
Allendale on the Savannah, p. 250.;Mrs. C. O. Gray
City of Allendale, 1979-1980
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014