George McElmurray House

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
George McElmurray House
Street Address:
Beech Island vicinity, SE side CR 247, 2250 ft. S. of int. w/CR 205

Site Number:
Site Number:
Date Surveyed:
April 16 1986
Construction Date:
circa 1790
Historic Use:
Current Use:
Construction Method:
Foundation Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
Roof Materials:
Composition shingle
Signficant Architectural Features:
2 story frame residence, rectangular; 3 bays wide (W-E-W), 2 bays deep; side gable comp, roof; 2 exterior brick chimneys w/corbelled caps; 1 story shed porch along the facade w/square wood columns & simple wood balustrade; central entrance has molded surround; 6/6 windows w/blinds; wood weatherbd. siding; brick pier fndtn. w/brick infill; approx. 15 yds E of the house is a small service bldg, 3 by 1 bay; central chimney; "V“ crimped metal roof; 6/6 windows; approx. 25-30 yds W of main bldg is small frame storage barn OUTBUILDINGS: 1 barn, 1 office/residence (contributory)
Historical Information:
The house is reported to be an eary tavern and stage coach stop on the route between Savannah and Augusta: 320 acre property was a mule-trading center, complete with racetrack; purchased by McElmurray family in 1911; house shown on this site on Mills Atlas of 1825
Source of Historical Information:
MacDowell, "An Aiken Scrpbk,"Vol 2, p. 42; North Augusta Historical Society, “History of North Augusta, SC", p. 77
Aiken County Survey (Western Portion), 1986
Archives Location:
Box 13, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014

Related place
Aiken County