Carolina Supply Company

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
[unknown]
Street Address:
35 W Court St

Site Number:
0908
Control Number:
U/45/0908
Date Surveyed:
January 5 2003
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
1914
Alteration Date:
circa 2000
Historic Use:
Commerce/Trade
Current Use:
Commerce/Trade
Historic Core Shape:
Rectangular
Architect or Builder:
John A. McPherson of J. E. Sirrine & Co.
Number of Stories:
4
Construction Method:
steel
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Veneer
Foundation Materials:
Basement
Roof Shape:
flat
Roof Materials:
visibility
National Register Determination:
listed
Signficant Architectural Features:
4-story plain Renaissance Revival style commercial block; brick veneer over steel frame; original storefront w/recessed entry, pressed metal ceiling, mosaic tile floor, 3-part fixed-glass windows, and plain cornice above; fa├žade windows are paired in center and 3-part flanking (paired on sides); 4/4 and 6/6; rear openings have segmental arches; peaked parapet projects above building cornice; masonry panels w/terra cotta diamond motifs; keystones above side windows
Alterations:
4-story modern block added to E side (ca. 2000)
Historical Information:
The Carolina Supply Company was formed in 1899 to provide textile mills and other industry with equipment and supplies. The company outgrew each of its previous locations and erected 4-story building in 1914. John A. McPherson of J. E. Sirrine & Co. oversaw the design plans and drawings. The new building was headquarters for the company, which grew to be a leader in the textile supply business throughout the region
Source of Historical Information:
NR nomination
Quadrangle Name:
Greenville