Campbelltown, Campbell Town, Campbelltown, Camel town, etc.
circa 1750 – 1800
Named tor Macartan Campbell, (CampbelI town was the chief marketplace for the western Edgefield District after the 1750's. Ca 1772, John Hammond received a land grant of 500 acres; he and his uncle Leroy Hammond then proceeded to lay out the metes and bounds of Campbelltown. Products traded at Campbelltown were mainly tobacco, skins, ceramics, cotton, oats, wheat and barley. Services provided were blacksmithing, feed and grain, and there was some real estate activity. By 1788, a department store had been establi shed. After the Declaration of Independence, Leroy Hammond left the operation of the trading post and the "Free Ferry to Augusta" entirely in the hands of John Hammond at Campbelltown, who performed Revolutionary service as quartermaster and supplier of transportation to the Americans. After the death of Leroy Hammond in 1790, John Hammond formed a partnership with his son Charles to carry on the lucrative Campbelltown trade. Campbelltown thrived until around 1800, when John Hammond's house was burned, and Hammond was shot and died - a direct cause of the decline of Campbelltown and Indians' removal from S. C. a few years later.
Source of Historical Information:
"Martintown Road" by Claude Hill (1980, unpublished); "Campbelltown" by Hammond Burkhalter (unpublished paper);Claude M. Hill, P. 0. Box 6545, North Augusta, S. C. 29840
Box 11, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014