819 Georgia Avenue (SE side of Georgia Ave., between Forest and woodlawn), North Augusta, SC
September 2 1982
circa 1918;1918 – 1923
standing seam metal
Signficant Architectural Features:
11/2-story weatherboarded house, irregular in plan. Low multi-gabled roof has exposed rafters and purlins; rafter ends are sawn, and the purlins also feature decorative woodwork. Three brick chimneys can be seen from Georgia Avenue. Front (NW elevation): gable end of main part of house appears to have pressed metal siding and contains two quarter elliptical windows; across the facade is a porch with gable roof (gable end, which faces Georgia Avenue, features vertical panels and a small tripartite window); porch roof is supported by paired square posts on brick pedestals on either side of the front steps; the paired posts are connected near their centers by a horizontal member; extending from the sides of the posts above the horiz. members are diagonal braces; porch has a lattice railing; central front entrance consists of a single door flanked by double full-length sidelights with beveled glass panes; to the west of the front entrance, the facade projects slightly (this section of the front contains one window, which appears to be single-hung, and which has a top sash or transom with 6 lights and a single-light lower sash; the facade to the north of the front door features a polygonal projection with a single window on each of its sides. The side slopes of the porch roof and the front slopes of the wings of the NE & SW sides have swept dormers. SW elevation: gabled west end features 2 windows with louvered shutters (upper sash with tall rectangular panes, single-light lower sash), vertical board siding, and rectangular louvered vent in the gable end; brackets with pendants at the corners of this gabled wing; shed dormers on the side slopes of the main section of the roof. NE elevation: 2 shed dormers; east end - porch with simple balustrade; some of the windows on this side appear to be double-hung, others single-sash windows. OUTBUILDINGS:
A Mr. Tyler, the manager of the Bank of western Carolina, built this house ca. 1918. His wife's father was in the lumber business in Aiken. The Tylers went to Florida around the 1920's or 30's. Mr. and Mrs. Paul Knox, the present owners, bought the house ca. 1940. Paul Knox was Superintendent of Schools in N. Augusta for many years.
Source of Historical Information:
Sanborn maps of North Augusta: 1918 (105), 1923 (6A).
North Augusta Survey, 1982
Box 11, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014