Pine Heights Sanatorium
1117 Georgia Avenue (south corner of Georgia Avenue and Sanders Street), North Augusta, SC
September 3 1982
Signficant Architectural Features:
21/2-story weatherboarded building. Gable roof has pedimented ends. Four brick chimneys can be seen from the street. Most of the windows are double-hung sash; some are 1/1, others are 8/1 (4 square panes over 4 tall rectangular panes in the upper sash). Front (NW elevation): monumental pedimented portico with four Ionic columns; pediment features cornice with dentil course, shake shingle siding, Palladian window; across the second story is a screened porch, which has a balustrade with plain balusters, and which rests on Ionic columns; on the first floor Is a central entrance (which is slightly recessed and which features double doors, semielliptical fanlight, and rectangular sidelights with lozenge-shaped panes) between two tripartite windows with louvered shutters (each of these windows has one large 1/1 window between two narrower windows). SW elevation: difficult to see because of vegetation; at the west end of this side is a porch with curved corner and with a balustrade (which has plain balusters) and unfluted Ionic columns. NE elevation: one hipped dormer on the NE slope of the roof contains a window and has shake shingle siding; 4 8/1 windows and onecasement window on the second story; on the first floor are a one-story polygonal bay to the east of center, 1/1 windows, 1 doorway and small screened porch. Rear: One-story section attached to a two-story gabled wing. Interior: According to an occupant of this building, it has 27 rooms, 10 bathrooms. OUTBUILDINGS:
History of North Augusta, p. 127: "The Pine Heights Sanatorium was operated in North Augusta from 1900 to 1916. Located at 1117 Georgia Avenue, it was sponsored by Dr. william Doughty, Jr. and Dr. Coleman, both of Augusta, Georgia. Both buildings were comfortably heated. "In the mid '20's when the Detroit Tigers, under the management of Ty Cobb, came to Augusta for spring training, the two connected buildings were rented for the Tiger's headquarters for spring training. In 1922 and 1923 the team boarded in the Jackson homes on Carolina and Forest Avenues. "In 1929 H. H. Sanders bought the houses and converted them into apartments. The lower building burned in the 1920’s." (caption under a picture of Pine Heights: "Pine Heights Hospital, obtained through the influence of Mr. Jackson, primarily for hotel guests about 1907.") According to the husband of the present owner, the first floor of the building that is still standing was the doctor's living quarters, the second floor was for his staff, and the third floor for servants. The annex, which burned, was the hospital/office. The two buildings were connected by a walkway. The Sanborn maps of North Augusta called this building an annex of the Hampton Terrace Hotel. The husband of the present owner didn't think the building had any connection with the hotel.
Source of Historical Information:
Sanborn maps of North Augusta: 1918, 1923; History of N. Augusta, p. 127.
North Augusta Survey, 1982
Box 11, Series 108042, Survey of historic resources (county by county data on surface properties), circa 1971-2014