450 E. Boundary ST, Aiken, SC (Aiken County)
February 4 2010
1865 – 1900
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick Piers with Fill
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Plantation house that exhibits Greek Revival and Victorian stylistic elements; two story portico; eave returns, cornice brackes; elaborate entrance surround; historic weatherboard exterior; at least 3 brick chimneys w/in surface of roof.
1 story rear addition - 1865-1900 c; 2 story rear additions - 1900s c
(Henry Place) Crossways, built before 1860, is an excellent example of the architectural evolution of a residence from its beginnings as the main house on an antebellum Barnwell District plantation to its use as a late nineteenth and early twentieth-century winter residence, part of the Aiken Winter Colony. Little is known about the property before the Civil War, but James L. Derby, a New York publisher and partner in the Aiken Land Improvement Company purchased Crossways in 1868. Mr. Derby is partially responsible for the creation of the Winter Colony in Aiken. The residence is a two-story plantation house which exhibits elements of the Greek Revival and Victorian styles. The trees and brick entrance pillars still stand and the drive, now a street named Crossways Place, has bungalows on both sides. The original house was two stories with three twenty feet by twenty feet rooms each. All six rooms also featured fireplaces and hardwood floors. A one story addition was added to the south or back side between ca. 1865 and ca. 1900; soon after the turn of the twentieth century the addition was expanded to two stories and included a thirty-three foot long dining room with fireplace, a kitchen and service facilities. The entire exterior is horizontal weatherboard, with brick pier foundations and a crimped metal cross-gabled roof. Listed in the National Register June 4, 1997.
Source of Historical Information:
City of Aiken Historic Resources Survey, Aiken County, South Carolina. May 2010