Aiken Journal and Review
The Gun Rack and Twisted Sister Antiques
215 Richland Ave. W, Aiken, SC (Aiken County)
October 28 2009
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
contributes to eligible district;
Signficant Architectural Features:
Permastone planters (late 20th C). Prev. SHPO No. 538
Metal panels applied to building, - 1920 C; Remodeled entrance with brick piers - late 20th C
Aiken's first newspaper, telegraph & Commercial Advertiser, was founded in 1835; only a few issues remain. Today's Aiken Standard daily newspaper evolved from the Aiken Journal begun in 1871. Its name was changed to Courier-Journal before F.B. Henderson purchased the business as well as the Aiken Review in 1879. The combined papers were bought in 1880 by M. C. Hammond and L. C. Ligon, then by Alva K. Lorenz in 1904. That year he is said to have built a new plant on Richland Ave.; this building does not appear on the 1904 Sanborn map, but is shown in 1909 as "printing plant." Lorenze sold the Journal and Review in 1935 to Ben and Annie King, who combined it with the Aiken Standard. In 1952 the Aiken Standard and Review went to Ddaily publication, and was renamed Aiken Standard in 1968. Between 1918 and 1920 the building was enlarged by the addition of a block of stores and offices between the original printing plant and Johnson's Drugs (Site #232) to the east. One of these held a drycleaner (see site #233).
Source of Historical Information:
G.L. Toole, III; Sanborn maps; Aiken Standard Sesquicentennial Edition.
City of Aiken Historic Resources Survey, Aiken County, South Carolina. May 2010