St. John's Methodist Church
St. Johns United Methodist Church
104 Newberry St. NW_x000D_
Corner of Newberry Street & Richland Avenue, Aiken, SC (Aiken County)
October 28 2009
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Cast stone architectural treatments; plaza with fountain; colonnade along front elevation.
Rev. John R. Pickett was a Methodist Circuit Rider who in 1853 served what was to become St. John's Methodist Church in a small chapel in downtown Aiken. Planning for a new sanctuary and chapel was begun in the early 1960s.
Source of Historical Information:
"History of Our Church," November 30, 2006
City of Aiken Historic Resources Survey, Aiken County, South Carolina. May 2010