S. Side Coker Spring Rd. SW. ~870' SE from intersection w/Newberry ST, Aiken, SC (Aiken County)
January 6 2010
1800 – 1850
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Rectilinear masonry block set into hillside with curving walls flanking it; This main block has a gabled top and classical detailing.. Prev. SHPO No. 718
Restored - 1972
Coker Spring is a fresh water spring. Archeological remains found near this property suggest that this was probably a water supply for prehistoric Indians. The spring later served as the source of drinking water for the early settlers of Aiken (ca. 1830-1890). The spring is covered by a springhouse, which is constructed of brick, covered with stucco. The front façade features a pedimented entranceway with a wide entablature. Stuccoed brick retaining walls extend along the left and right sides of the springhouse. The first recorded owner of Coker Spring was Ephraim Franklin who obtained the spring as part of a 285-acre land grant in 1787. Apparently the spring then changed hands several times. The spring gained prominence as a regular stop on the stagecoach route from Abbeville to Charleston, and also as the major source of drinking water for the town of Aiken which had been chartered in 1835. Eventually, however, the spring fell into ruin. Listed in the National Register January 18, 1978.
Source of Historical Information:
“Coker Spring” [Online]; available from http://www.nationalregister.sc.gov/aiken/S10817702010/index.htm; Internet. Accessed April 26, 2010.
City of Aiken Historic Resources Survey, Aiken County, South Carolina. May 2010