Reedy River Mill Complex
S side of Ekom Beach Rd., approx. 3/4 mile NE of its intersection with Poplar Springs Rd., Ekom, SC (Laurens County)
October 30 2001
Recreation & Culture
Vacant/Not In Use
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
gable, end to front
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The complex consists of four buildings: a mill building, concession stand, roller skating rink, and one unknown building. They are all rectangular in shape and of frame construction with metal roofing. The concession stand is notched log construction._x000D_
The complex sits along the river just south of an old stone dam.
A grist mill has been located near this spot since the early nineteenth century. In 1950 Mitchell Pressley opened a concession stand and roller skating rink for people who came to swim in the river at this location. He called the place Ekom Beach.
Source of Historical Information:
Mitchell Pressley, 30 October 2001; Kluttz, Jim. "Sands of Time…Ekom Beach Special Memory for Many." "Ekom Beach" Laurens County History Files, Laurens County Library.
Ware Shoals East