Ware Shoals Hydroelectric Plant
CHI Energy Inc.
S side of Powerhouse Rd. at its intersection with Canal Rd. and Cemetery Rd., on the Saluda River, Ware Shoals, SC (Laurens County)
October 29 2001
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
The plant is comprised of a square building with a stone veneer, arched casement windows, and a raised vent on its flat roof, and an adjacent two-story tower with a brick exterior. The tower has large, square casement windows, with half-circle windows above, each surrounded by a brick arch and granite keystone. The propeller in front is a water wheel from the plant.
The exterior of the bottom half of the tower is covered in cement. The stone veneer section has had alterations to its entryways. The original generators were replaced in 1939 and 1984.
The dam and plant were built in 1906 to generate power for the Ware Shoals Manufacturing Company located across the river in Greenwood County, later owned by Riegel Textile Company. In 1987, Aquenergy Systems, Inc. purchased the mill from Riegel and renovated the plant. Aquenergy is a subsidiary of CHI Energy Inc._x000D_
The plant contains one vertical Kaplan and one horizontal tube-type turbine, and has a 6.2MW capacity.
Source of Historical Information:
"Ware Shoals," http://www.chienergy.com/wareshoals.html, "CHI Energy," http://www.chienergy.com/, accessed 13 February 2002; CHI Energy Inc. employee.
Ware Shoals East