Charlton Hall Plantation
1947 Neely Ferry Rd., Hickory Tavern, SC (Laurens County)
October 22 2001
Historic Core Shape:
Number of Stories:
Exterior Walls Materials:
entrance bay only
National Register Determination:
Signficant Architectural Features:
Twelve over eight windows on the first floor, eight over eight windows on the second floor, a transom and sidelights on a double door. Two interior chimneys.
Built by George Washington Sullivan, Sr. (1809-1887) a farmer who served in the South Carolina House of Representatives (1862-1864) and Laurens County Commissioner (1868-1870). Sullivan operated a plantation on the adjacent property, growing cotton, oats, rye and wheat. The house is significant as a rare example of mid-nineteenth century brick construction in the rural South Carolina upcountry.
Source of Historical Information:
Ware Shoals East