Allen Temple AME Zion Church

Historic Property
Alternate Name:
[unknown]
Street Address:
109 Green Ave

Site Number:
0371
Control Number:
U/45/0371
Date Surveyed:
November 13 2002
Category:
Building
Construction Date:
1929
Alteration Date:
1949
Historic Use:
Religion
Current Use:
Religion
Historic Core Shape:
Rectangular
Number of Stories:
1
Construction Method:
masonry
Exterior Walls Materials:
Brick
Roof Shape:
gable, end to front
National Register Determination:
eligible
Signficant Architectural Features:
1-story, brick, front-gable, Norman Revival church; peaked fa├žade flanked by 3-story bell tower & 2-story stair tower; arched, stained-glass windows w/ lintels & keystones; arcaded entry w/2 single-leaf doors & window
Alterations:
Dreher Education Building added (1949)
Historical Information:
Two attempts were made to organize an A.M.E. church in Greenville first in 1871 and again 1875. After meeting in several makeshift locations, the congregation dedicated Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church, a two-story brick building, in 1881. The church was named in honor of Richard Allen, founder of the A.M.E. church. As the congregation grew a new site was purchased and the old building was dismantled and re-erected. The name was then changed to Allen Temple. In 1929, the congregation expanded again and began construction of the present building. The Sunday School wing (Dreher Education Building), built in 1949, housed the first nursery school/kidergarten program sponsored by a black church in Greenville.
Source of Historical Information:
Church history
Quadrangle Name:
Greenville